1. “The Shack” Movie |March 3 - 23, with possible extension |Sudbury
THE SHACK movie. Opened in Imagine Cinema Downtown Movie Lounge, Sudbury, March 3!
Tickets will be available at Imagine Cinema, Sudbury
The current run is shown till March 23; The number of days “The Shack” will be at Silver City depends on sales
2. Nord500North Conference |September 21 & 22 |Sudbury
To: Church Leaders and Members and the Public in Greater Sudbury
To commemorate the 500th anniversary of the Reformation, a two-day gathering will take place in Sudbury this Fall, bringing together the body of Christ in Northern Ontario for a time of worship, discussion and learning.
Here are opportunities to learn more about the Reformation Movement:
Lenten Ecumenical Study Sessions for the Reformation
The intent of the study sessions is to gather members of our Christian community together to learn about and prepare for the 500th Anniversary of the Reformation. I'm hoping these sessions will provide an opportunity for our communities to celebrate the ongoing ecumenism that is beyond the official dialogues and that we have begun to witness in our preparation for the Commemoration in September. I'll be facilitating sessions at Location #1 and Tony Chezzi and Cori Brunati will be facilitating Location #2. Both locations will meet at St. Patrick's for the concluding third session. I hope to see you all there.
The year 2017 marks two important events in the life of the Church: The 500th anniversary of the Reformation, and the 50th anniversary of the Lutheran-Roman Catholic Dialogue. Today, many of our churches are at the point where we can commemorate this event as a significant piece of our shared history.
The dialogue of the past 50 years has resulted in studies and documents at official levels and more importantly also been instrumental in seeing increased co-operation and friendship at local levels between Christian communities throughout the world. We’re praying together, working together, marrying one another and growing together as sisters and brothers.
In the fall of 2017, our region will mark this Anniversary with a two-day conference, Rebels with a Cause? To prepare for this event, the ecumenical organizing committee for the commemoration Nord500North, in partnership with St. Patrick and Holy Redeemer Roman Catholic Churches, and Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church, cordially invites you our ecumenical neighbours to take part in a three-part Ecumenical Study Session.
All sessions are from 7pm to 9pm and will be offered concurrently at
the following locations.
March 7, 2017: Session 1: Commemorating the Reformation
Location 1: Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church, 189 Regent St. Sudbury ON
Location 2: Holy Redeemer Roman Catholic Church, 1887 Bancroft Drive Sudbury, ON
March 14, 2017: Session 2: From Conflict to Communion
Location 1: St. Patrick’s Roman Catholic Church, 39 Walford Rd, Sudbury ON
Location 2: Holy Redeemer Roman Catholic Church, 1887 Bancroft Drive Sudbury, ON
March 21, 2017: Session 3: From Communion to Commitment
Location 1 & 2: St. Patrick’s Roman Catholic Church, 39 Walford Rd, Sudbury ON
Each Study Session stands alone with videography and small group interaction. All are welcome!
Dr. Christopher J. Duncanson-Hales, Phd
Departments of Philosophy and Religious Studies, University of Sudbury at Laurentian University Sudbury, ON
“I am the vine, you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.” John 15:5
“Where there is hatred, let me sow love”
A Statement from Christian leaders in Sudbury; February 2nd , 2017
Following the Week of Prayer for Christian Unity, we, the Christian leaders from Sudbury, condemn the recent attack on our Muslim brothers in the Centre Culturel Islamique in Quebec City as they knelt in prayer. We reaffirm our commitment to strive for justice and peace and to respect the dignity of every human being. We re-commit to standing in solidarity with our Muslim neighbours.
O Lord, open my eyes
that I may see the need of others,
open my ears that I may hear their cries,
open my heart so that they need not be without comfort.
Let me not be afraid to defend the weak
because of the anger of the strong,
nor afraid to defend the poor
because of the anger of the rich.
Show me where love and hope and faith are needed,
and use me to bring them to these places.
Open my eyes and ears that I may, this coming day,
be able to do some work of peace for you. Amen.
Bishop Marcel Damphousse and the Roman Catholic parishes of Sudbury
Bishop- elect Anne Germond and the Church of the Ascension and Anglican parishes of Sudbury.
The Rev. Stewart Walker – St. Stephen’s on the Hill United Church
The Rev. Catherine Somerville – St. Andrews United Church
The Rev. Glenda Morrissette – Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church
The Rev. Charles Nolting - Lutheran Parish of St. Matthew & St. Timothy
The Rt. Rev. Thomas Corston – the Anglican Church of the Epiphany
The Rev. Todd Manuel - Glad Tidings Church (Sudbury) Pentecostal Assemblies of Canada
The Rev. Dr. Spencer Boersma and First Baptist Church, Garson.
The Rev. Dr. Jeremy Mahood – All Nation’s Church Sudbury.
The Rev. Jason Tripp, Valleyview Community Church (Free Methodist Church in Canada)
The Rev. Doug Prebble – St. Alban the Martyr Anglican Church Capreol
The Rev. Glen Miller – St. John the Divine Anglican Church Copper Cliff and Christ Anglican Church, Lively.
The Rev. Dr. Robert Derrenbacker – President and Provost of Thorneloe University.
North Eastern Ministerial
Sudbury Christian Messenger
March 2017 Edition
For full event details, please go to SC Messenger in the tab above. There you will also find the full newsletter.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
1. The Mater Dei Latin Mass Community | March 18, 19 and other days |Sudbury
2. Ignatian Spiritual Exercises in Everyday Life |March and every second Monday |Sudbury
3. "The Shack" Movie |March 3 - 23 …with possibility of extended screening |Sudbury
4. Perogie and Cabbage Rolls Sale |March 18 and every Saturday |Sudbury
5. Impact |March 19 and Sundays |Sudbury & Kfm 95.5
6. SUMMIT |March 20 and Mondays |Sudbury Southend
7. Al-Anon Family Group Meetings |March 20 and Mondays |New Sudbury
8. Adult Children of Alcoholics |March 20 and every Monday |Minnow Lake
9. International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination Luncheon |March 21 |Sudbury
10. Together in Christ – Final Study Session on the Reformation Movement |March 21 |Sudbury
11. Ecumenical Taize Evening of Prayer |March 21 | Minnow Lake
12. SLYNGSHOT: An Interactive Church | March 21 and every Tuesday |Sudbury
13. Easy Tai Chi Classes |March 22 and Wednesdays |Sudbury
14. Housing First 101 Meeting |March 22 |Sudbury
15. Meditation Classes |March 22 and Wednesdays |Sudbury
16. World Water Day Public Forum |March 22 |Sudbury
17. Wanup Chapel Bible Study |March 23 |Wanup
18. Christ the King Prayer Group | March 23 and Thursdays | Sudbury
19. Thirsty Thursdays: FGB Bible Study |March 23 and Thursdays |Sudbury
20. Ministry Leadership Day |March 23 |Cambridge, Ontario
21. Fundraiser for Northern Hope |March 23 |Sudbury
22. Paint Social April 1 |March 24 deadline for ticket sales |Sudbury
23. Silent Vigil for Peace |March 24 and each Friday |Sudbury
24. “Apparition Hill” Movie – one time screening in Sudbury |March 25 |Sudbury
25. Dinner and a Movie for Missions |March 25 |Sudbury
26. Return Ministries |March 25 & 26 |Sudbury
27. Deadline for Conservative Party of Canada Membership re: Leadership Vote |March 28 |Canada
28. Mental Health First Aid Training in Sudbury |March 28-29 |Sudbury
29. Sudbury Central Southend Ministerial |March 28 |Sudbury
30. Sudbury Right to Life/Pro-Vie Board Meeting |March 29 |Sudbury
31. Wanup Community Meeting |March 29 |Wanup
32. Accessibility Grant Application Deadline |March 31 |Greater Sudbury
33. Paint Social at Knox Church |April 1 |Sudbury
34. Wanup Chapel Service ||April 2 and first Sunday of the month |Wanup
35. Nord500North Conference Planning Meeting #7 |April |Sudbury
36. Toonie Tunes Fundraiser |April 8 |Sudbury
37. 23rd Annual Fish Fry sponsored by the K of C Council 11255— Take-Out available |April 8 |Coniston
38. Sudbury Christian Businessmen's luncheon |April 12 |Sudbury
39. Next Leadership Debate for the Conservative Party of Canada |April 26 |Canada
40. Kfm Christian Radio Spring Sharathon |April 27 |Greater Sudbury & Mid-Northern Ontario
41. 50+Seniors Expo |May 6-7 |New Sudbury
42. Paint Social at St. Stephen’s on the Hill |May 6 |New Sudbury
43. Conference: Bridging the Religious-Secular Divide |May 8-9 |Ottawa
44. National March for Life – Buses from Sudbury to Ottawa |May 11 |Ottawa
45. The New Evangelization Summit |May 12 & 13 |New Sudbury
46. Creation 2017 Super Conference |August 13-18 |Muskoka
47. 500North: Commemoration of 500th Anniversary of the Protestant Reformation |September 21 and 22, 2017 |Sudbury
48. Rob Parker, National House of Prayer Event |September 28-30 |Sudbury
PRAYERS & PRAISE
Praise for our new Lutheran Pastor in Greater Sudbury
Praise for Knights of Columbus Father Brian McKee Council 1387 Newsletter
Thanks and Praise to God for the Lunch Launch for Nord500North and the Lenten Ecumenical Study Sessions on the Reformation Movement
Sudbury Downtown Churches Prayer Calendar 2017 Edition
Thought-provoking words on Christian denominationalism
Emergency Shelter Local Resource in Greater Sudbury
Did you know this about the “post-abortion fallout”?
Capturing Sudbury |Up till April 3 |Greater Sudbury
St. Patrick’s Church seeking Choir Members
Sudbury Right to Life/Respect Pour la Vie Announces their new Office
Objections raised about ICE assessment of ON sex-ed curriculum
Petition Request: Stop fake news and fake science at National Geographic Magazine!
Catholic teachers’ union urges Canadian gov’t to promote ‘access to abortion’
Gonorrhea infections up 270% in Algoma District since 2010, nurse says
Give “political correctness” a failing grade – Michele Mandel, Toronto Sun
Update on the Conservative Party of Canada Leadership Contest
Setting the record straight
Trudeau announces $650 million in funding for “reproductive health” worldwide
Billions in taxes in Canada go unpaid
Pres. Donald Trump Reinstates Mexico City Policy re: abortion funding
From the Desk of Marshall Foster – World History Institute
Kevin Libin: Greenpeace Environmentalists admit you shouldn’t believe what they say — but they want your money anyway
Pro-Life Groups Again Invited to Attend Briefing at United Nations
FINANCIAL SUPPORT REQUESTS
Church of the Epiphany has a large cross to give away
Request re: Conscience Rights for Doctors
St. Patrick’s Church Seeking Choir Members
Christ the King seeking Administrative Assistant
Nord500North seeking Marketing Assistance
First Baptist Church in Garson Seeking Pianist
The Shack author: “The Story Behind the Story”
The Lighthouse Store in New Sudbury has The Shack book and other items for sale
Consecration Ceremony for Bishop of Algoma, Rt. Venerable Anne Germond
Defund Planned Parenthood Protest in San Francisco, February 2017
Impact of Abortion in USA since 1973 – shown in pie graph
Guitarist or Keyboard player needed at Holy Redeemer Parish, Minnow Lake
Household items needed
Employment Opportunity – St. Andrew the Apostle, Barrydowne Rd.
WORDS OF WISDOM
Why Worry About Tomorrow?
Names in the Bible and their Meaning
Be of Good Cheer