Welcome to the A.C.E.S. sponsored website - www.sudburychristian.ca
Now is the time to register your kids for Summer Camp
Plunge in the Park - 40 people baptized
Invitation to a NO-COST Reformation Movement Experience
Be part of increased co-operation and friendship between Christian communities.
Join us for a free, three-part Ecumenical experience"Together in Christ". Explore the historic roots of the Reformation, the movement from conflict to increasing communion, and the movement from communion to a commitment to the ecumenical imperative, may they be one.(John 17:21)
All sessions are from 7-9 pm on Wednesdays, July 12, 19 and 26 at St.Andrew's Place, Larch Street, Sudbury.
For more details phone (705) 674-4834 or see us on Facebook
DATE: September 21 & 22, 2017
LOCATION: Holiday Inn, Sudbury
Commemorate the 500th Anniversary of the Reformation Movement and the Ongoing Reformation
Tel. (705) 674 4834
ACES expresses opinions on matters of politics, moraliy, and social justice. As such we do not seek tax exemptions or issue tax receipts. This way we are not constrained to voice our opinions, opposition or approval of any cause. We seek your donations to maintain the website, edit the Sudbury Christian Messnger and to hold special events and conferences
Current Headlines from The Sudbury Christian Messenger
TABLE OF CONTENTS
1. Branch 76 Legion Canada Day Celebration |July 1 |Minnow Lake
2. Free Family Canada150 Celebration 4th Annual |July 1 |Sudbury
3. Gospel Concert & Healing Festival |July 1 |Sudbury
4. The Cry Kingston Conference |July 1 |Kingston
5. Early Bird Registration for Nord500North |July 2 |Mid-Northern Ontario
6. Wanup Chapel Service |July 2 and first Sunday of the month |Wanup
7. Impact |July 2 and Sundays |Sudbury & Kfm 95.5
8. Now’s the time to register your children/grandchildren for Christian summer camp
9. Al-Anon Family Group Meetings |July 3 and Mondays |New Sudbury
10. Adult Children of Alcoholics |July 3 and every Monday |Minnow Lake
11. DivorceCare |July 3 and Mondays |Sudbury
12. Summer Fitness at Holy Redeemer |July 4 and most Tuesdays and Thursdays till August 31 |Minnow Lake
13. The Mater Dei Latin Mass Community |July 4, 5, 6, 7 |Sudbury
14. Thirsty Thursdays: FGB Bible Study |July 6 and Thursdays |Sudbury
15. Christ the King Prayer Group | July 6 and Thursdays | Sudbury
16. Sagamok Annual Tent Meetings |July 7, 8, 9 |Massey
17. Silent Vigil for Peace |July 7 and each Friday |Sudbury
18. Perogie and Cabbage Rolls Sale |July 8 and every Saturday |Sudbury
19. Summer Vacation Bible Camp at Holy Redeemer Parish |July 17-21 |Minnow Lake
20. Creation 2017 Super Conference |August 13-18 |Muskoka
21. Nord500North Planning Team for 500th Commemoration of the Reformation |Sept. 5 |Sudbury
22. Nord500North Mass Choir Rehearsal |September 7 |Sudbury
23. Ladies Retreat @ Camp Norland |September 8, 9 and 10 |Warren, ON
24. Sudbury Christian Business Men’s Lunch/Speaker Event |September 13 |Sudbury
25. Nord500North Dress Rehearsal for Mass Choir |September 16 |Sudbury
26. Annual Dinner-Speaker Event for Sudbury Pro-Life |September 16 |Sudbury
27. 500North: Commemoration of 500th Anniversary of the Protestant Reformation |September 21 and 22, 2017 |Sudbury
28. Rob Parker, National House of Prayer Event |September 28-30 |Sudbury
29. Michael W. Smith in Concert |October 7 |Sudbury
30. Global Leadership Summit |October 19 & 20 |Sudbury
31. CHP National Convention |November 1-4 |Ottawa
32. Save the Date: New Evangelization Summit |April 27 & 28 |Sudbury
PRAYERS & PRAISE
Praise Reports: The CRTC The CRTC has approved 6 more licenses to Kfm Christian Radio for mid-northern Ontario; The Nord500North Mass Choir, under the Direction of Brenda Cavallin, had an outstanding response and first rehearsal
Prayer Request: Please pray for the clergy of our Churches
Prayer Request for Christians
Invitation to Join a National Prayer Network
Sudbury Project Hope – Update from Jim Gordon, Chair
3 Ways you can Take Action Against Pornography
Ontario’s Bill 89 – Media reports
Students at an Ontario Catholic School Board will soon have more flexibility to opt out of religious courses and programs
Canadian bill serves as a ‘bludgeon to kill the Christian in the child’ By Dr. Scott Masson
An Ontario judge has tossed out a provincial Liberal law that banned access to abortion statistics on the grounds it violated the Charter.
Alberta Senator Concerned about Bill C-51, that it puts religious freedom at risk
Canada Senate Passes Transgender Rights Bill C-16
Pediatricians group counters attacks for rejecting transgender ideology
What Feminist Camille Paglia Says About Transgenderism
Report Finds New Treatment for Children with Gender Issues Not Supported by Science.
He was considered the patron saint of euthanasia; now he’s having second thoughts
Cash-strapped World Health Organization slammed for high travel costs
Catholic bishop: If it’s legal, it’s not automatically moral. Just look at slavery and abortion
“The View” compares pro-life Christians to the Taliban
FINANCIAL SUPPORT REQUESTS
Community Emergency Fund
Church of the Epiphany has a large cross to give away
Basses and tenors needed for Nord500North Mass Choir, September
Sudbury Artist Offers her Canada Day thanking God for His blessings on YouTube, free
God bless Canada on our 150th Birthday
CNN producer caught admitting media’s on ‘witch hunt’ against Trump
Christian programs available 24/7 on the Miracle Channel, including Creation Ministries Magazine
Message from Paul McCartney’s Mom Inspires Song
Oldie but Goodie …..Paul Harvey 1965 ………”If I were the Devil”
Sookram Bus Summer Tour Opportunities
Dinosaur Valley open
Thought-provoking poem “Refugees” by Brian Bilston
CELEBRATING THE STORIES OF CANADA'S CHRISTIAN HERITAGE
Elgin Street Mission calls out for summer slacks
WORDS OF WISDOM
My future with Jesus – according to the Book of John, Holy Bible
CELEBRATING CANADA’S CHRISTIAN HERITAGE
by Pastor Rob Weatherby
Today we celebrate Canada’s 150th birthday.
We can all think of many things about our country to be thankful for. For me, one of them is our strong Christian heritage. Many of the world’s 200+ countries don’t have one. What is the evidence for ours? Take a look…
Most of our country’s early explorers and pioneers were committed Christians. Names like John Cabot, Jacques Cartier and Samuel de Champlain. In their writings they clearly stated that their purpose in risking their lives to discover and explore the New World was for the glory of God and to share His truth with the native people.
Most of Canada’s nation-builders were committed Christians. Names like David Thompson (explorer of western Canada), George Brown (father of Confederation and founder of the “Globe and Mail”), William Howland (mayor of Toronto), Timothy Eaton (businessman), Nellie McClung (moral reformer), Winfred Grenfell (medical missionary to Labrador), George Vanier (Governor-General) and Ernest Manning (Alberta premier) come to mind.
Leonard Tilley was one of the delegates to the Confederation meetings in Charlottetown, PEI, in 1864. During his morning devotions he read Psalm 72:8 – “He shall have dominion also from sea to sea”. He proposed that the new country should be called “the Dominion of Canada”. Sir John A. Macdonald and the rest agreed.
Our Parliament Buildings
As you enter the Peace Tower on Parliament Hill you can see 3 biblical verses engraved over the arches -- Psalm 72:1, Psalm 72:8 and Prov. 29:18. These Scriptures speak of prayer, God’s justice, righteousness, rule and vision. Our nation was founded on these principles.
For the first 100 years of our history, most churches in Canada were full and vibrant. Many had healthy Sunday Schools. Most Canadians called themselves Christians. It was the dominant worldview and Christian clergy and lay leaders were influential opinion-makers.
Most of our early educational institutions were founded by Christian individuals or denominations. Egerton Ryerson (founder of public education in Ontario) declared that his primary task was to make men Christians. Baptists founded Acadia and McMaster, Lutherans founded Waterloo, Anglicans founded Dalhousie and Western, and Catholics founded St. Michael’s and Saint Mary’s to name a few.
Canada’s first hospital, Hotel-Dieu de Quebec, was founded by a Catholic order in 1639.
Catholic nuns still serve in hospitals and nursing homes across the country. Methodists, Presbyterians, Salvation Army and Lutherans also founded our earliest hospitals and nursing homes.
During our first century, our media (newspapers, books and later movies) were morally wholesome and respectful of God and Christianity. Many movies had biblical themes such as “The Ten Commandments”, “Ben Hur” and “The Greatest Story Ever Told”.
“The Lord’s Day Act” became law in 1906. It prohibited Sunday business so Canadians could enjoy a day of rest on Sunday. It reflected the 4th commandment found in Exodus 20:8-11. It was ended in 1985 by the Supreme Court.
For the first 100 years of our history, issues like abortion, euthanasia and same-sex marriage were unthinkable. Pornography and public swearing were taboo, marriage was strong and divorce was rare. Most Canadians believed that “righteousness exalts a nation, but sin is a disgrace to any people” (Proverbs 14:34). Our biggest city was even called “Toronto the Good”.
In God’s eyes, I believe Canada was a great nation! For the first two-thirds of our history we enjoyed a strong Christian heritage. Has anything changed in the last 50 years? We’ll tackle that question in part 2 of this series. Stay tuned.
In the meantime, Happy Birthday Canada… and thank God for our Christian heritage!
Pastor Rob Weatherby serves the Bethel Baptist Church family in Whitefish.